Our Glossary aims to help you understand the industry terms and definitions. Our intent is to accurately interpret your order requirements BEFORE we manufacture and deliver your order.
- Alloy wheels – road wheels that offer a sporty look whilst being lightweight
- Aluminium floor – a strong, lightweight and durable metal used on all John Oates horseboxes in preference to traditional plywood that will rot without regular maintenance.
- Battery guard - a device that prevents the vehicle battery from being drained below a level that will start the vehicle
- Bench seat – a two-person seat in the cab alongside the driver seat
- Bite bars – bars that are fitted to the side of opening windows to prevent a horse putting its nose out and having a nibble
- Bonded windows – windows that are glued and sealed to the horsebox body creating a modern look
- Breast bar – a bar used to prevent a horse from moving too much while travelling. These can be solid bars or chains depending on the customer preference
- Bulkhead – the partition between the cab and horse area. All John Oates horseboxes have a reinforced structural bulkhead that is tied into both the cab and horsebox body. This is an important safety feature that protects the occupants in the cab from the horse in the event of a sudden stop.
- Chassis cab – the vehicle on which the horsebox is built. This can be new or used.
- Conspicuity tape – a reflective tape to improve the visibility of the vehicle at night.
- Day cab – a cab that has an additional row of seats behind the driver seat.
- Decals/Vinyls – a decorative design made from a vinyl sheet that is applied to the outside of the horsebox. These can also be reflective to improve the visibility of the vehicle at night.
- Donor vehicle - a used vehicle on which the horsebox body is mounted
- Extended body – a horsebox body that is extended by 450mm or 700mm to create a larger grooms area.
- Front-facing – a horsebox designed with the horses facing the front of the vehicle while travelling.
- Gas strut – a device that can reduce the weight of a door or keep a door either in the open or closed position.
- Generator – a petrol-fuelled device that creates 240 volts AC.
- Grandfather licence - Drivers who passed their category B (car) driving test before 1997 have grandfather rights and are able to drive a 7.5-tonne truck without taking another test. They will have the C1 entitlement on their licence, which covers vehicles from 3.5 to 7.5-tonnes GVW.
- Those who passed their test before 1997 may also have a C1 + E entitlement on their licence, which will allow them to drive a 7.5-tonne vehicle with a drawbar trailer weighing up to 750kg.
- Groom area – the living area at the rear of a horsebox.
- Groom partition/wall – an internal wall that separates the horse area and groom area.
- Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) – the weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load that can be carried safely when it’s being used on the road. Also known as the Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM).
- Horse head window – an opening small window at horse head height to help airflow.
- Horsebox body – this is the body that is built on the vehicle.
- Horse wash - water pumped from an on-board water tank used to wash a horse using a standard hose connection
- Insulated roof – a panel that is used to keep the horse area warm in winter and cool in summer.
- Internal lights – LED lights used the illuminate the horse and groom areas.
- Inverter – a device that converts the vehicles 12 volt supply to 240 volt AC supply.
- Leather sport seats – leather, embossed seats fitted to the cab.
- Leisure battery – a high capacity battery used to power equipment that may be fitted to the groom area without draining the vehicle battery.
- Lightweight panels – a composite board that is used to build the horsebox that are lighter than traditional GRP boards.
- Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) – the weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load that can be carried safely when it’s being used on the road. Also known as the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW).
Metallic paint - a metallic basecoat colour protected by a clearcoat.
CALL US TODAY ON:
0121 526 3767